Chiropractic

Chiropractic
The solution is simple!

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Helping Anxiety

Written by Dr. Kathy Dooley on Dr. Dooley Noted May 5, 2015

Another gem from Dr. Kathy Dooley. We've now talked about grief, depression, and here's one about their not-too-distant cousin, anxiety (also covered here). Coping strategies have been identified here. This is a conversation that occurs all too often in MD offices everywhere. Think about what you're putting in your body and why. Think about symptoms, and think about causes. Don't always try to take shortcuts.

- Dr. P

At age 21, I let anxiety get the best of me.
I was hospitalized with a panic attack. 
I was quickly offered a copious amount of medication, mostly in the form of anxiolytics (Klonopin) and benzodiazepines (Xanax). 
I’ll never forget the interaction with my doctor. 
Picture me 15 years younger. 
Doc: “Why don’t you take Xanax? It’s wonderful for diminishing anxiety.” 
Dooley: “I’ve read that, sir. But what is creating my anxiety?”
Doc: “It’s hard to say. Probably your intense classes.”
Dooley: “But I LOVE my classes. I love school.”
Doc: “Maybe it’s your boyfriend?”
Dooley: “He’s amazing. These things don’t make me anxious. I just get hit with it, as if out of nowhere.”
Doc: “Listen, I understand. My wife suffers from anxiety. She has taken a Xanax every morning for the past 20 years. Her anxiety is under control.”
Dooley: “If it were under control, she wouldn’t need Xanax.”
Doc: (blank stare) 
So, I walked out. Thank god I can think for myself, because the pressure from family and friends to take drugs was insurmountable. 
Funny how non-anxious people want to tell anxious people what they should do. 
A client of mine recommended chiropractic.
I went – and obtained immediate relief. 
The chiropractor taught me how to breathe with my abdomen, so as not to overuse muscles in the chest and neck that might trigger anxious breathing. 
Like any solid rehabilitative strategy, my anti-anxiety drills became a part of my everyday life. 
A crowded subway train becomes a contest with myself on exhale prolongation. 
If I feel my pulse race or my heart increase in beats, again I turn to the breathing to bring respiration and pulse rate down. 
When I run, I make conscious efforts to maintain my breathing cylinder, avoiding chest breathing, rib flaring, and air gasping. 
These things did not come naturally to me.
Anxiety came naturally to me. 
So, interventions were necessary. 

I chose to not take drugs. 

Breathing drills were challenging at first. I had to set alarms to remind myself to breathe. 
But with time and commitment, I started naturally going to the drills to feel my best. 
Conquering my own anxiety has drawn anxious people to me like a magnet. 
I never knew that conquering my own struggle would have numerous beneficiaries. 
This inspires me to make even more conscious efforts to work on anxiety prevention. 
After all, we anxious people need to train for the event that may happen some day. 
I haven’t had a panic attack in countless years. 
But I’m ready in the event that I do.
If you think you don’t have a choice but to take anxiolytics, you are mistaken. 
Benzodiazepines and anxiolytics are part of a standard care protocol for anxiety. 
That doesn’t mean you have to follow that standard. 
I have standards of my own. 
I don’t want to take a pill to control me. 
I want to do the work to see myself out of discomfort. 
Drugs are easy. Drugs also have consequences. A major consequence of anxiety drugs is that anxiety tends to increase without their usage. 
They aren’t fixing anything in the long run. 
With anxiety, you learn you are in control as much as you chose to be.
I hope you know you have options.  
As always, it’s your call. 
- Dr. Kathy Dooley 

No comments:

Post a Comment